|Mr Michael Menzies|
|Phone:||(03) 5221 5342|
The aims and objectives of the Geelong & South Western Rail Heritage Society Inc are:-
1, To retain and enhance railway infrastructure and rolling stock for the Geelong & South Western Railways.
2. To foster an interest in railway history.
3. To encourage a liasion with railway operators and to provide support for suitable projects.
4. To promote general railway activities.
- Hold working bees to maintain the Birregurra Railway Station and Colac locomotive turntable.
- Open Birregurra Railway Station for public inspection on several days throughout the year.
- Publish a newsletter 6 times per year with details of our activities and some local rail history information.
- Encourage and support rail heritage train visits to the Geelong and South Western area.
- Undertake excursions to places of rail, steam and/or heritage transport interest.
- Maintain an archive of information and artifacts relating to railways in Geelong and South Wesren Victoria.
- Maintenance and restoration of Birregurra Railway Station and surrounds.
- Played a lead role in organisation of celebrations for the 150th anniversary of the Geelong & Melbourne Railway in June 2007.
- Planning celebrations for the 150th anniversary of the Geelong and Ballarat Railway in April 2012.
- Restoration of the locomotive turntable at Colac Railway Station and re-instatement of facilities to enable heritage and tourist train services to use Colac as a rail tourism destination.
The group is open for everyone to join or participate in.
Usually at Birregurra Railway Station.
The venue is wheelchair accessible.
Regular meetings on the second Saturday of every even month (ie Feb/April/June/ Aug/Oct/Dec).
Entrance Fee $5, Annual Subscription $20 until 31 December each year.