Part 4 - Checklist
This help sheet the last in a series of four. If you have not done so already you should read:
The process of finding, recruiting, selecting and installing new board members is perhaps the most important function of a board. Assess your board's performance in this area by asking:
Have you …
- Identified what qualities and skills your board needs now?
- Examined your organisation's strategic plan to ascertain what
qualities and skills your board will need in the future?
- Decided how your board could better reflect the diversity of your
- Considered setting up a recruitment or governance committee to
oversee the task of filling board vacancies – and to keep on top of the
process throughout the year?
- Cast your net wide in conducting your search for potential
members, looking at:
- People already associated with your group (members, donors,
- People associated with existing, retiring or past board
members, committee members, staff or volunteers?
- People with interests that correspond with your group's aims?
- Local community or business leaders?
- People with appropriate skills who could fulfill your needs for
- Professionals with skills you require?
- People serving on board advisory committees?
- People serving on other boards?
- Spread the word that you are looking for new board members?
- Scanned newspapers and other media for stories about people who
might suit your group?
- Checked women's registers and the Board Matching Service for
- Built a "prospect list", including information about potential
board members' contact details and specific skills?
- Invited prospects to become involved in your group?
- Made a selection based on who can best serve your group's mission
and future directions, and who can best provide the skills and expertise
your group needs?
- Put in place and enacted screening procedures for potential board
- Thought carefully about your "pitch" before approaching potential
candidates, taking into account your needs and those of the prospect?
- Adhered to the processes and procedures outlined in your
organisation's constitution or rules in nominating and installing new
- Followed up approvals by confirming the appointment and
congratulating the new member?