Media - Preparing a Winning Strategy
Welcome to the Media - Preparing a Winning Strategy page. Getting your story told in the media is an important element in increasing the effectiveness of your organisation.
Media coverage helps to spread the message – your message – to a wider audience than you can reach through your own efforts. To be successful you need to create a strong media strategy, develop good relationships with media working in your geographic and interest areas and to have the ability to recognise what is "news".
In this section we have free Help Sheets to assist you through every stage of the media process.
(Once you have identified what you need to do, we have also created a listing of many of the media organisations around the country. Click here to find media outlets in your State and Territory.)
- Why Media is Important
- Building a Media Team
- Creating a Media Contact Book
- Using Your Media Contact Book
- Building Media into all your Activities
- Knowing When What you do is News
- Generating Interest in Your Activities
- Attracting Coverage in Your Local Area
- Writing a Media Release
- Sending a Media Release
- Following up a Media Release and Ensuring it Hits the Mark
- Managing a Media Crisis
- Holding a Press Conference or Media Event - Part 1
- Holding a Press Conference or Media Event - Part 2
- Letters to the Editor
- Becoming an Opinion Leader
- Developing a "Lift Speech"
- The Importance of Pictures
- Tips on Getting Free Exposure for Your Event
Tips for Media Interviews
- Preparing for an Interview
- Why Sound Bites are Important
- Creating a Tasty Sound Bite
- Conducting a Successful Interview
- After the Interview
- Ensuring you get your Message Across
- Top tips for Getting your Media Strategy up and Running