Australian Giving Week 2006 - December 4-10
AUSTRALIANS URGED TO THINK OF THEIR COMMUNITY DURING AUSTRALIAN GIVING WEEK
- DECEMBER 4-10, 2006
Australians are being urged to think of some of the simple ways they can help their local community as Australian Giving Week kicks off around the country.
Australian Giving Week - which is being held from December 4-10 - is designed to catalyse people to take action and make a difference to the community in the lead-up to Christmas and beyond.
Activities organised as part of Australian Giving Week, which is an initiative of community support organisation www.ourcommunity.com.au and is supported by Westpac Bank, include:
- Distribution of a list of '50 Ways for Individuals to Give to the Community this Christmas' (and a corresponding list for local businesses), as well as tips for developing a personal giving plan
- Promotion of the Australian Giving Centre - a free online donations service provided by www.ourcommunity.com.au, with the support of Westpac, which currently lists almost 900 community group appeals
- Release of the Australian Giving Card - a special community greeting card supported by Australia Post that passes $2 from each purchase on to a community group, with beneficiaries chosen by the sender or the recipient
- Launch of the Australian Giving Week Auction, which will see the personal items of 14 Australian luminaries - including Dame Elisabeth Murdoch, Sir Gustav Nossal, Olympian Grant Hackett and much-loved author Bryce Courtenay - go under the hammer for the benefit of selected community groups.
- Listing of all of the places where individuals, businesses and politicians can buy Christmas cards and trees that support a community organisation.
- Launch of a new website at www.givingweek.com.au to collect all of the resources above, and much more. The website includes sections for individuals, businesses, MPs and the media.
"Christmas is the season to be jolly - and generous. Generous with your money, and with your time," she said.
"Community groups need support every week of the year but with Australian Giving Week we are encouraging people to take some small, simple steps that can have an amazing ripple effect in the wider community and a year-long impact."
Westpac Group Executive Mike Pratt said: "Australian Giving Week is about providing ideas and encouraging people to connect with community groups in line with Westpac's enduring strategy of community involvement that is based on tradition while innovative in approach."
More information about Australian Giving Week can be downloaded via the Media section at www.givingweek.com.au. Media are also invited to download and reprint (with attribution) the lists of '50 Ways for Individuals/Businesses to Give to the Community this Christmas' - available on that website as well.
For other information and comments about Australian Giving Week please contact Rhonda Galbally on (03) 9320 6809 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.