Wildlife Information, Rescue and Education Services
more than $1,500,000
Number of Paid Staff:
21 - 50
Number of Volunteers:
more than 100
Education, Animal Welfare
Current Board Size:
Board Meetings (frequency):
Every two months
Board Meetings Held:
State where Board Meetings Held:
New South Wales
Local Government Area:
Any further information about this vacancy:
WIRES (NSW Wildlife Information, Rescue and Education Service Inc.) has been rescuing and caring for native animals since 1985, officially launching as an organisation in March 1986. Our mission is to actively rehabilitate and preserve Australian wildlife and inspire others to do the same. WIRES is a not for profit organisation with 2500 volunteers in 28 branches across NSW.
WIRES has a dedicated Rescue Office that operates 365 days a year assisting the community to help native animals in distress. WIRES assists tens of thousands of animals every year, receiving over 90,000 requests for rescue assistance in the last financial year
WIRES seeks to appoint an additional, voluntary Director to its Public Gift Fund Management Committee. No direct contact with animals is involved.
The WIRES Public Gift Fund (WPGF) is established under the Commonwealth Department of the Environment’s Register of Environmental Organisations (REO) until integration with ACNC ( July 1, 2020 ). Directors are responsible for the overall management of the Public Gift Fund to ensure compliance with ACNC requirements and other relevant legal obligations. Committee meetings are generally held every two months for financial reporting and general compliance issues. Three face to face meetings are held annually and the remainder via teleconference.
- Should have a commitment to the purpose and objectives of WIRES and wish to contribute to their achievement
- Will have knowledge and skills in one or more areas of committee governance: policy, finance, programs and/or personnel
- Desirable but not essential, qualifying as a ‘responsible person’ as defined by the REO guidelines
- Shall be aware of their responsibilities under the relevant legislation and act in accordance with Gift Fund’s Operational Guidelines
- Shall put the interests of the organisation at the foremost in their deliberations as Committee members, using reasonable care, skill and diligence in the performance of their duties and act in conformity with the WIRES Code of Conduct for members
- Previous experience in the not for profit sector would be advantageous.
Duties and requirements:
- Approve all disbursements from the Gift Fund
- Approve relevant documents, including documents related to the Public Gift Fund’s finances
- Ensure the Public Gift Fund’s compliance with funding agreements, policies, legislation and regulations
- Keep up to date by reading the minutes, reports and any other necessary meeting papers;
- Regularly attend Committee meetings and actively participate in committee discussions and decision making and develop a thorough understanding of how the gift fund works
- Be familiar with the organisation’s constitution, including the specific roles and responsibilities of the WPGF Management Committee outlined within it
- Manage the Public Gift Fund’s risk (i.e. minimise the impact of potential barriers preventing the organisation from achieving its objectives efficiently and effectively).
Expressions of interest, including relevant experience, should be emailed to email@example.com
General Board Member
Area of Expertise Being Sought:
Banking & Financial Services
Nil - honorary role